Friday, June 4, 2010

Motivation: Let's Get Real!

I tend to gravitate toward Buddhist thinking, because it's so straight forward, to the point, and makes so much sense. Having said that, I do also have a huge place in my heart for altruistic idealism. I look for the best in others, even when they aren't treating me that well. "Kill them with kindness!" my grandmother always said. When I think of what motivates me, I can point to my family, making people feel good, improving other people's lives.

Let's get real! The only way I can do this is to have the time and energy, and the one thing that leads to that path is money. It doesn't have to be a lot of money - you just need to know how much you really need in order to lead the type of lifestyle you want. In other words, you should be motivated to do whatever it takes to get whatever amount of money you need on a regular basis. Strip away the idealism and the good works and it all comes down to money. Ok, I've said it - I am motivated by money! Admitting to that is like standing up in front of a 12-step group: "Hello, my name is Shelly and I am motivated by money." Phew! That feels better already.

Now, what comes next? I start my days motivated to make the money I need in order to be with my family, make people feel good, and make this world a better place. I know how much I need and I know what I need to do to get there. And I get on with it. I make no excuses, no exceptions, and no apologies. I challenge you to do the same. Right now, stop what you are doing and think about how much money you really need to have the life you really want. What do you need to do to get that life? What are you willing to do?

Doesn't it feel good?

Peace,

Shelly

No comments: