Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What's Your Emotional IQ & Why Does It Matter?

Hello, my name is Shelly and I'm an Information Junkie. There, I said it. I feel so much better now. The ironic part about it, is that when I was a kid, I had an undiagnosed reading problem (I don't call things disabilities - my nephew with CP reminds me that he's "differently abled"). I avoided reading and found ways around it. My memory is all but photographic, and I developed a keen sense of hearing. Just ask my kids and former middle school students.This is why the internet is like heaven for me, although I love the paper version too.

I surf, browse, read, absorb tons of content everyday. And then a beautiful things happens: I get to share it! I received my regularly scheduled ping from Edutopia, George Lucas' education foundation. Three online quiz opportunities popped up (I'll write about the other two later). I chose the third one, "What's Your Emotional IQ?". I have been intrigued by emotional intelligence, or EQ, ever since Howard Gardener brought multiple intelligence theory to our attention and later added EQ to the list. EQ is a person' ability to empathize, persevere, control impulses, communicate clearly, solve problems, and work with others.

For a leader, understanding EQ is extremely important. Just like the theory that follows Maslow's hierarchy of basic needs, you can't hope to get any learning or thinking done if you haven't met the basic needs, or adjusted to the group members' EQ. Leaders have responsibilities to the bottom line, of course, but they won't get there without the cooperation and clear thinking of their team members. Truly, a leader's first area of focus must be the people, their technical skills, and their EQ. The leader has to adjust his or her attention to different team members based on each individual's ability to control his or her emotions, talk about issues honestly and respectfully, and to drive to the finish line.

How are you affected by other people's lack of EQ? How does Emotional Intelligence affect your work? How do you empathize, persevere, control impulses, communicate clearly, solve problems, and work with others? Something to think about...

Peace,
Shelly

No comments: