Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Managing vs. Leading part 2




About 6 months ago, I wrote this blog about managing and leading. I was reminded this week about the importance in knowing the difference. You see, when you leave an organization, you leave a bit of yourself behind and you also take a bit of the good people with you. It’s always difficult to leave good people. What is more difficult, however, is seeing those good people left with nothing but management, bereft of leadership.

From January 13, 2010:

This week I was out of my campus with the flu - I don't like being gone, but sometimes it can't be helped. When I returned, I learned a few things about my leadership "light" (I prefer that visual to the leadership "shadow", as it presents a more positive, uplifting visual). I was missed - for the positive energy I bring, my willingness to get my hands dirty right alongside my people, and my ability to see the big picture in the face of a lot of little details. It proves the saying that the best leaders are willing to follow.

As a leader, you can stand with your people, in front of them, or behind them. When you stand behind them, they cannot see you, your expressions, your movement, or if you are about to push them over the cliff. When you stand in front of them, they feel protected, but still cannot see your expressions, and therefore remain in the dark with regard to your intentions. When you stand with them, they can experience your intentions through side-by-side interaction. They can speak with you, rather than be spoken to. They can learn with you rather than be preached to.

You can manage numbers - they don't talk back, don't need affection or care. People, however, need a leader - someone who will tell it to them straight, hold them up when they feel like they cannot go on any longer. They want someone they can count on for guidance, and at the same time is willing to be guided  - an alaka'i manager (10 Beliefs For Alaka'i Managers, Talking Story with Rosa Say).

The best leaders are willing to follow.

Peace,

Shelly

No comments: