Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Recommend: The Leader's Way by the Dalai Lama and Lauren Van Den Muyzenberg

This is going to be a quick post today, as I have a lot more I want to read and write about. But I didn't want the day to go by without telling you about a book I just finished. It's "The Leader's Way", written collaboratively by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Lauren Van Den Muyzenberg.

I spied this book at Border's about a year ago, and being the frugal person that I am, made note of it and promised myself I would buy it for myself. After I took care of everyone else, of course. As is the case with most parents. Then an event in my professional life brought me back to thinking about leadership, what I had just experienced from leaders in the organization I worked in, and reflecting on my own leadership of others. I bought "The Leader's Way" and dove right in.

This book is one that all people in leadership positions should read, and read with a partner or group. It's one you need to reflect on and talk about. It's an easy read, yet one that you can't get through quickly, because there's so much that makes you stop and say, "Wow!" Something that the Dalai Lama wrote really hit home: "When the mind is disturbed by anger, jealousy, hate, impatience, fear, lack of self-confidence, or negative emotions about things that happened in the past, it is wasting valuable time that instead should be used for constructive thinking."

So, although I am made aware everyday that things have been done which have negatively impacted my life and the life of my family, I must move forward and continue to lead myself so that I can lead others ethically and with compassion. Hopefully, others will follow my lead.

Peace,
Shelly

No comments: