Saturday, June 26, 2010

Corporate Heads Can Learn A Few Things From Educational Leaders

Late last night I spent some time re-reading articles from Harvard's Graduate School of Education. I know, I could have been watching a romantic comedy or an action thriller on Netflix, but I wasn't in the mood. Go figure!

I found an article about mentoring new teachers that I'd read before, but this time I read it from the perspective of a business owner or corporate executive - both roles I have had. Rather than summarize the article, I urge you to read it yourself. I think - no, I know - the business world dismisses the work done in the educational sector. It's as if there is a belief that those two worlds have nothing in common.

Well, guess what? Schools don't run on air - they require a lot of money to function. And that money doesn't just come from government pools (which are quickly drying up). They come from local businesses, community organizations - the people who live and work in the community and who count on the schools to help make their world a better place.

So take a few minutes to read High Quality Mentoring and remember whenever you read the word "teacher" to just think "employee". I am positive your light bulb will blink with ideas to take to the office Monday morning.

Peace,
Shelly

No comments: